Tuesday, January 3, 2012

First BLOG Ever!!!

I have always been sort of a tree hugger and was thinking "Green" before it became popular. I hang my laundry outside to dry, I don't use paper towels or napkins, I make my own cleaning supplies and I LOVE A BARGAIN. Which brings me to the current day, I decided that for my "new year's resolution" I am not buying anything new. Now obviously certain things cannot be used food, medicine and things of that nature. I am doing this for two reasons: 1st to prove that it is completely feasible to live my current standard of living without buying new items and second to see how much money I can save over the course of a year. I will be living off thrift stores, garage sales, Goodwill, eBay and any other site/store out there that sells used stuff.

It all started back in fall of last year....I had a corner armoire that I was looking to get rid of because my husband didn't like it and wanted to "update" the toy storage. So I put an ad out on craigslist and tried to sell it. Then my friend A introduced me to Pinterest and I found a desk that someone had repainted so I decided that I was going to do that to my armoire. I took it off craigslist and went to work. I bought paint from Home Depot in the oops section to save $ and borrowed some from my friend. All in all it cost me about 15 bucks in paint and about 15 hours of time and it is beautiful. I will add a pic soon.

Needless to say we are full circle back to today. Now for anyone who doesn't shop at the Goodwill this is the best time of year. Everyone drops off their crap before the 31st of Dec to get the tax write off and basically it's like Christmas in Jan, for people like me. So I went today and bought a pair of jeans (miss sixty) 4.99 which retail around $130 , a journal from Anthropologie that was originally $20 for 1.49, a Fancy Nancy book originally $11 for 1.99, and a professional picture frame for 4.99 (who knows what that person paid!!!).

This is the armoire that I repainted and below is the frame I got!


No comments:

Post a Comment